Monday, May 18, 2009

the end for windy

We have made it to darwin. Riding through Litchfield park was a refreshing change to the rest of the trip. Time passed slowly and there was no pressure o keep moving. We camped where and when we wanted. Watrfalls. swimming holes. wattles. peace.
We cycled to Mandora which signaled the end of our trip... or so we thought! A days buggy ride on beautiful coastline and then the scariest joy ride of my life. neither buggy had doors, mine supplied a roll cage while mels had the seatbelt, but what they did have where two awesome drivers who managed to dodge trees, anthills and boggy mud. After a quiet dinner we raced to catch the ferry across to The big smoke. What a wave of achievement. Unable to sit still Mel and I jumped around like a pair of teenagers at a new kids on the block concert. Proud... proud to have made it, proud to have experienced such an enjoyable trip, proud to have had such an harmonious partnership.
So now to wind up with some personal notes:

What I love about the top end-
The camoflaged butterflies that revieal themselves with a quick flutter of their wings, surprising me with flashes of the deepest most luminous blue.
The stunning dragonflies hovering around us, showing off their rosepink tails and intricate silverwings.
The little ants with the big green bums, who investigate our belongings but never bite.
The numerous waterfalls (each one as stunning as the last) that supply us with fresh drinking water - no longer relying on roadhouses and towns.
The generosity of the people who call the outback their home.
When I first wrote this I was sitting in waterfall letting the current flap my feet around as it raced down stream, birds were calling out to one and other and I thought about what this trip has taught me and here is some of it:
What I have learnt about the land
Australia is a large and diverse country.
You can live off the land completely, however this takes years of teachings and millions of years of culture and knowledge.
I've also learnt that nature dances to her own drum and no matter what my plans are it is she that ultimately guides my journey.

What I have learnt about the outback
out here your past means nothing! what does matter is who your are right now.
People out here work hard, work together as a community and believe that you get out of life what you put in.
I have also found that friendships which have only existed for 2 days can feel as though they have been there forever.

Now turning to Mel... what I have learnt about Mel
she is one of the strongest people I know, in body, heart and soul.
She is a machine on the bike and has the most courageous and loving heart. Which brings me to the next topic

What I have learnt from Mel
I've learnt to open my heart, let my guard down and see past first impressions and scepticism.
To be open to those around you and the generosity they offer... it's ok to accept help every now and then!
I've also learnt the preciousness of friendship and not to be afraid to let others know you appreciate them. Mel you are an inspiration to me and I don't think I could have had a more enjoyable journey, thankyou lovely lady!

So now finally what I have learnt about myself
I have learnt that I am capable of setting and achieving goals - big and small.
I have learnt that I do love meeting and listening to strangers, more than I thought (everyone has a story).
And finally that there is no room for regret in my life. Every decision I have made has been the right one given the knowledge I had at the time. Each one of those decisions has led me here (a babbling water fall with a shady canopy and no sign civilisation - of course that was when I first wrote this, now i'm in an internet booth).
If I finish my degree it is because I have chosen to.
If I travel around oz on my bike untill my knees give in, it is because I have chosen to.
If I get married, have some kids and take up tennis, it is because I have chosen to.
Am sooooo thankful to have had a life full of choices! Never again will I complain about having to make a decision.

Thankyou all for following the blog, comments were very much appreciated.

signing off wINDY mOLE (bE)

1 comment:

  1. well done girls what a trip to remember for a life time,take care for what ever comes next.uncle jack is so oo glad you made it even if the arm is in a plaster cast.snooks wishes you both happiness.
    bye till the next adventure

    ReplyDelete